Saturday, December 17, 2016

I'm on my third and final night of my first official house-sitting gig.  I am here due to a pair of super sweet and very well behaved black labs.  They get fed twice a day and taken for walks.  Pretty easy.

I was assured that the dogs do not sleep on the bed.  They each have a crate, and will go to their assigned places at bedtime.  At least they did the first night.

Last night, as temperatures plummeted into the negative, I could feel the cold radiating through the bedroom floor.  Each dog has a thick bed, but they're still on the floor.  Sure enough, about 3am, as quietly and subtly as a large canine possibly can, a weight settled on the foot of the bed.  The second hound joined us about a half hour later. I lay there thinking about that.  I hate to teach someone else's fur kids bad habits.  But it was Cold, and they're such good dogs, and they were being very respectful.  I chose to simply ignore their presence, and allowed them to pass the night elevated and snug.  It's their home, and the whole reason I am here is for their health and well being.

The family comes home tomorrow, and I can return to my own bed.  This has been good.  It's a nice way to break into the freelancer lifestyle.  I have enjoyed being so close to my Denver people, though I didn't see very many people.  I think it helps just to feel closer.

Just two weeks...

Eep.

2 comments:

  1. It's a great way to put your toe in the water. 😊

    Make sure you get a letter of rec from the homeowner. You'll need that later.

    ReplyDelete